Summary of Functions
The Mechanical Engineer’s mission within Cortex is to act as a strong champion of human-centred design principles while taking a product from industrial design into functioning mechanical prototypes and production designs. The mechanical engineer is responsible for the engineering rigour of the products they design in cooperation with the other departments, and provide operational knowledge to the Director of Engineering on the tasks under their control.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Systems thinking of components and workflow
- Supporting and participating with the staff in best practices for new product development; user research, ethnography, sketching, prototyping, 3D CAD modeling, 3D CAD detailing for production methods, 2D engineering drawing to support production
- Performing research as needed and make recommendations on appropriate engineering approaches to design challenges
- Approach product test criteria from an analytical perspective and seek ways to measure success or failure objectively
- Detailing and drawing creation for rapid prototyping methods
- Prototyping and design verification
- Creation of production ready CAD and manufacturing drawings for manufacturing processes including injection molding, die-casting, CNC milling, extrusions
- Detailing products with electronic components
- Help interns and other designers improve their skills and modeling expertise
- Support and help maintain positive client and vendor relationships
- Manage and document projects according to best practices
- Keep accurate records of time spent on projects
- Keep the office clean and tidy, perform light assembly work, maintain tools and equipment, or any other roles that may be requested as a natural part of conducting business in a small office
- Occasionally assist in book-keeping, like issuing quotes, purchase orders, or invoices
- Bachelor’s Degree in an accredited engineering program
- 5+ years mechanical engineering design experience of consumer-facing electromechanical products
- Hands-on experience with high-volume manufacturing techniques (SMT, injection molding, die-casting, extrusions)
- Solidworks advanced assembly and surfacing knowledge
- project management experience
- knowledge of quality & safety standards and systems; ISO13485, ISO9001, UL, CSA, FCC, CE
- Freehand sketching capabilities (either digital or traditional tools)
- Adobe CS Suite
- Fusion 360 or other cloud-based CAD packages
- Reports to the Director of Engineering or the relevant project manager of the projects they work on
- Works alongside the other department staff on common project goals
Show Us What You’ve Got!
If you think you could make an impact with us – please send your resume to email@example.com along with a brief cover letter explaining why we’d be an awesome fit for each other. We look forward to hearing from you!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.