We’re looking for an Intermediate Industrial Designer!
Located in Toronto’s design district (Queen St. West), Cortex Design specializes in technically complex consumer and medical products. We’re growing quickly, so we’re looking for a mid level Industrial Designer with 3-5 years of professional experience in physical product development to join our team. Working alongside our Design Manager and other members of the design team, you will apply your expertise in industrial design, with a focus on front end concept development, to generate next-level ideas and solutions that truly inspire and deliver exceptional human experiences.
Our team is currently working remotely to contend with COVID-19, so you will need an at-home work setup and a stable internet connection.
What are WE Like?
At Cortex Design, we visualize human experiences, design products that support them, and manufacture the solution. We are always looking for projects that involve radically new technologies, pushing the limits of what products can do for the people who use them. We work on ground-breaking technology, primarily in healthcare and medtech. We are at the cusp of technologies that involve AR, AI, IOT, and we work with our clients to humanize that technology.
We’re a team of talented and hardworking designers and engineers who know how to have fun. Our head office is located within walking distance from Liberty Village and we’re surrounded by exceptional food options. Most of us live in or around the downtown area but if you don’t, that’s cool too; we’re easily accessible by TTC and GO Transit. Of course, right now we’re all working from home!
What are YOU like?
You grew up playing with Tinkertoys and Lego, modifying the parts to suit your needs. Your inquisitive nature and innate desire to understand how things work have enabled you to pursue a rewarding career in industrial design and product development. Your problem-solving chops are unrivaled, and you’re able to justify and stand by your design decisions. In addition to your strong design sensibilities, you also possess a strong mechanical aptitude and understand that the best designs not only look great, they’re a breeze to manufacture.
Along with your desire to play an integral role in solving vexing design challenges for one of Toronto’s top product design firms, you should also possess the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design or equivalent
- 3-5 years of on-the-job experience moving products from concept into production
- An exceptional portfolio of work on consumer electronic or medtech devices (more junior applicants should show stellar work in their portfolio that indicates a strong capability to learn fast)
- A demonstrable skill of design thinking and problem solving. Hot sketches are one thing, but we need a designer who can deftly propose solutions to challenging problems
- Ability to internalize a high-level overview of a particular design problem while not getting bogged down in the minute details
- Great 2D and 3D visualization skills (sketching, either on paper or tablet, Adobe Suite, Keyshot, etc)
- Outstanding modeling skills in Solidworks and an orthodox approach to modeling (you despise things like under-defined sketches and feature errors)
- Strong communication skills and ability to effectively communicate design ideas verbally
- Ability to interact with clients and outside vendors with a high degree of comfort
- Empathy for the end-user and an understanding of what it takes to create a product that resonates with them
- A genuine belief in the value of collaboration – that working closely and sharing ideas with other designers and engineers ultimately results in a better product
As a multifaceted product development consultancy, we all wear many hats. Aptitude in any of the following are nice to haves:
- Experience with traditional “engineering” concepts
- Ability to design and detail for manufacturing
- Building and programming Arduino hardware
- User interface/ user experience design experience
- Brand Identify and graphic design
- Knowledge of quality & safety standards and systems; ISO13485, ISO9001, UL, CSA, FCC, CE
- Experience working in an ISO9001 environment
Show Us What You’ve Got!
Think you have what it takes? Then please send us your resume and design portfolio along with a brief cover letter explaining why we’d be an awesome fit for each other. Applicants without a portfolio will not be considered. We look forward to hearing from you!